2026 is NOT the Year of Linux
I was using Linux Mint secretively for four months and I have a lot to write about my experiences with it. Linux Mint is regarded as the newbie friendly distro, and it is true most of the time. But you have to make several changes to make it work as a normal windows 10 installation would work. I was using Linux Mint XFCE version, I know it is not their flagship version but I went with it because I had to use some statistics software for my final year graduation project. And my experience with it was pretty good expect some small things.
The first issue was continuous stuttering and freezing of the desktop. It could be understandable if it was during the time of running resource intensive software but normal usage of Firefox browser also freeze my computer sometimes. The second issue was the screenshot application which comes pre-installed, it is not a faulty application but I think 4-5 clicks for capturing a screenshot is very time-wasting way of doing it, also it doesn't copy the screenshot to the clipboard without clicking the copy to clipboard option. I think it would be good if the screenshot option is available on the taskbar.
Third thing is the multimedia codecs install/download error. I don't know why this popup comes on the taskbar every time I start my Linux computer. I have tried everything but still no relief from that popup. Now the issues have been covered, I am going to list some good things which I experienced before that I forgot to wrote that the battery life is absolutely poor on Linux Mint. On Windows 10 LTSC, I get 3-4 hours battery backup which gets reduce to half in Linux.
The good thing about the Mint is that it is very fast especially the XFCE version and it stands to its motto of being newb-friendly Linux distro. The Software Manager cum Store is very useful for managing software and installing them.
Mint is a great operating software but still not quiet there on the level of big boys.
Comments
Post a Comment